Wednesday, August 31, 2011

let me just crying, crying for my love

Hello again everyone! お元気ですか?

I have been super busy since I went to Japan! First I went to New Mexico to visit my grandmother then I went to Japan to volunteer and now I am going back to New Mexico again.

I said I would post while I was in Japan but I because busy with traveling and sightseeing as well as my volunteer work. I fell like today I should spread some light on a not so pleasant subject. Death

Part of my volunteer work was in a graveyard in Yamamoto. The city of Yamamoto lies on the coast of Miyagi prefecture in Watari district. The damage was extensive. I can't begin to describe how hollow it felt to be looking at a barren place where houses once stood and children ran and played.

Our task was "debris removal" we weren't really sure what to expect but when we arrived where were told that we would be cleaning a graveyard. A few of the others, myself included were at first skeptical about why we needed to clean up a graveyard.

The truth of the matter is that in Japan, death is important.

While I'm sure you can go on wikipedia and find out all about it I'll give you the basics.

Due to Japan's religious nature, most funerals are Buddhist in nature. Depending on the individual's religious preference. However, due to space restrictions and cost, 98% of all Japanese are cremated. Superstitions usually play a role in the decision of the funeral. Some days are considered auspicious and others not. When the body is on display at the funeral it usually has it's head pointed to the north. (This is why Japanese people usually make a great effort to make sure their head do not point north in their beds.)

After the funeral the body is cremated and the family searches the remains for bones. (This is the only time it is socially acceptable to use chopsticks to pass items from person to person) The bones and ashes are placed in a urn and then usually divided up between family, company, and grave.

After the bones have been chosen, they are enshrined in a family plot with a large headstone known as "haka" but you must always refer to it as "Ohaka" out of respect.
If an individual has a haka then their name will be engraved on it. Otherwise only the last name. Haka weigh between 100 and 200 pounds. They are solid stone.

(Shown is a typical grave in Japan. The top tall stone has the name engraved. The small bench is meant for offerings.)

After the internment is over, the following year no New Year's card (nengajo) are to be sent. A picture of the deceased is placed in the family alter, and the following years a memorial service is held (usually following the calendar of the 13 Buddhas) prayers are offered so that the soul may rest or be reborn.

A bit of a downer huh? Well it is might be hard for us to understand but, to Japan this is really important. The dead must be respected and cared for. So for those on that trip. To help clean and fix the graves. It was not only an important task but an honor. I hope that even though I couldn't do much. I was able to heal the hearts of some of the people of Miyagi.

That's all for today. I hope to make a more up beat post next time!

See you next round!
~Lala~

1 comment:

chesha-neko said...

You did great work in Japan. Thank you so much.
chesha-neko